4.08.2009

Seriously!

Does anyone read the news? OmG! I am reading my favorite news stations website whdh.com channel 7! And I came across an article about children, weight & school! Very touchy subject in the office; kids, parents & who's in control. So I found this article

"Schools to screen students' body mass
BOSTON -- Massachusetts health officials have approved regulations that would require sending children's Body Mass Index measurements home to parents.
The Public Health Council voted unanimously Wednesday to calculate student heights and weights, which are already measured annually, into a Body Mass Index measuring their overall proportions.
The results will be sent home to parents for students in first, fourth, seventh and 10th grades in a package explaining what they mean and how parents can best combat obesity.
Department of Public Health Medical Director Lauren Smith says Massachusetts will join Arkansas in notifying parents about a child's Body Mass Index. Eighteen other states require a BMI calculation.
The new regulations will be phased into schools over the next 18 months.
(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)"

Okay, I am all for monitoring children's weight & BMi but to seriously have this stuff done at school, send home a 'progress report' on you own kids' weight & BMi? Like the parent doesn't see if their child is at one of the extremes, whether overweight or underweight!? Jeesh. This is something the parents need to monitor on their own! You as the parent, to a certain age, control what your child eats! Yes I understand some kids are extremely picky & will only eat certain items but seriously if you are feeding your kids McDonalds, Wendys, or anything bad three times a day for every meal you have to expect something bad to happen! Duh! People drive me insane. Blah! I just wanted to share this information with everyone! Thank you for listening

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I saw this press release and was surprised. I guess the government wants to tell everyone how to raise their kids. But on the other hand, I wonder if, after their eyebrows come back down off their hairline, some parents might take another look, not so much at their children, but at their diet. It is so easy to get into bad habits, easy dinners, etc. because we're all busy. I don't need the government to tell me that, though. Maybe the government could also add more hours to the day, and then we all could serve more salads? ROFLOL.