2.14.2009

VALENTiNES DAY

So today is the double-edged sword holiday, Valentine's Day! You either love it or hate, there's no inbetween with this holiday & I personally love it! I never expect anything, except from my father! but I manage someone to have my beloved* smitten with me that he got me flowers, all my favs, daisies, lillies, roses, carnations!! Yummie. For some reason I am on the fixation of knowing what things mean, I am now a 5 yr old 'why? why? but why?" LoL so I investigated the meaning behind Valentine's Day. The website http://www.ethnic2020.com/ states that the meaning behind this fabulous day is::
But did you know that the origin of Valentine's Day, or Saint Valentine's Day, comes from the life and death of a Christian martyr? According to author Martha Zimmerman, the date traditionally celebrated as St. Valentine's Day finds it origin in the Roman festival of romance called Lupercalia, when the gods Juno and Pan were honored. It was a fertility festival or a lover's holiday looking forward to the return of Spring. In the fifth century, in an attempt to abolish the pagan festival, Pope Gelasius changed Lupercalia and its February 15 date to February 14 and called it Saint Valentine's Day. Even though the names and the date were changed, the emphasis continued to be on love.
BUT!!
Some authorities credit Geoffrey Chaucer with originating the custom of linking Valentine's Day with lovers. No link between the day and lovers exists before the time of Chaucer, thus leading some to conclude that it was this famous English author who connected the day with lovers. The fullest and earliest description of the tradition occurs in Chaucer's "Parliament of Fouls" composed around 1380. Since that time it has been traditional to connect St. Valentine's Day with love.
Either way, whoever is the creator of this day that you just need to whisper to your favorite person 'i love you' is a wonderful person & I thank you. How often do we really tell the one we love how much they mean to us or how much we love them? Not often enough! But here's to all you other sappy-lovers out there, hope your day is as fabulous as you are & enjoy your loved ones, I know I will. Happy Valentine's Day fellow bloggers

precious moments. my fav!

my beloved*
took me 23 years & a lot of frogs to find him, but i did & that's all that matters.
i honestly can say that no one has ever had my heart as wholely as he does, he has been an amazing man to everyone around him (even those who don't deserve it) and even more so towards me. and as many times as we hate each other ( LOL ) all in good fun, we know that this is it & we are done with our searchs we are lucky to found each other at all


he sent me my favs. thanks my beloved*

2 comments:

Miss Kolleen said...

I love these posts! So interesting!

Jennie La* said...

LoL i am on this 'knowing fixation' many more to come . . my thoughts are always racing & now google helps me get answers & blog lets me get them outa my head & on something! Xo