11.16.2008

No 16 :: I wonder.

So today I am asking myself, do we expect too much from others; loved ones, co-workers, friends, whomever. We meet these people we surrond ourselves as one way; and fall for them just they way they are, we may not agree with everything but overall we love them for who they are. So why do we set ourselves up expecting certain people to do something out of their character that is in our character? For example, a significant other isn't a romantic & you are. You know they are not but it comes a special day & you do a million things for the other person they get you a card and just show a little smile for the things you went crazii for them. Of course, the significant other who went nuts for the other person gets upset, it's inevitable. Why do we ever set ourselves for them to do something out of character & go nuts for us? We know they are not that type of person and yes the day may mean just as much to them, but they aren't into the "material things" or "artistic, creative world" so why did we expect more from them than just a card and a little smile? Or a loved one at home is a slob, you are an OCD freak. Why is it if the OCD freak leaves for a few days (mind you the house is clean when they leave) you expect to come home to the same home? Of course there are dishes in the sink, hair all of the bathroom & the rug & floors are disgusting. Why do we set ourselves up for disappoinment? Is it in our human nature to expect more or some would say "better" from people? Yes, the golden rule "do onto others as you would done onto you" but it seems no one really follows it anymore, or again, my question of probably the week, do we expect too much from others?
Maybe my young mind is so neive, but I honestly hope that things aren't the way the appear lately. I hope that the people that we surrond ourselves with do appreciate what they get/have and show it back, in their own way. Unfortunately life is too short & we all (even myself) take our loved ones for granted but how much are we taking for granted, how often & why is it that doing something a little out of character for some is so difficult & so wrong towards the person they are? So today I guess I will be my optomistic self and hope for all the lovers, family, and friends out there that go that extra mile for their people. They say what goes around comes around right? So your day will come, unfortunately it's not looking like today, tomorrow or anytime soon, but hopefully sooner rather than later. Happy Sunday fellow bloggers!

2 comments:

Miss Kolleen said...

Sadly, I don't rely on anyone. I am rarely disappointed, and often surprised.

Jennie La* said...

See it's not that i want to rely on anyone, it's just I guess I expect people to do things out-of-character for themselves. But I am starting to realize if I do it myself & not "let" them do it they never will, so I am starting to step back & let things run their courses without me stepping in.